Tuesday, October 02, 2007

How I get from Here to There...

Well, if you saw my last post you would guess correctly if you thought I walk to work. So this is one way I get from here to there:


If it's nice out, and I've slept in, I sometimes take this to work, too:


Being a consultant, though, it is sometimes impossible to walk to work as I sometimes have to get to client sites, thus necessitating one of these:

I only drive it after it's unburied, though! :)
(Because this may be pretty foreign for some of you, it's a photo I had to share! That's a Mazda Protege buried under there. This - meaning the amount of snow - happens once or twice a year, a few times more than that if we're really lucky! haha The first snowfall usually happens sometime in October. The first snow that stays on the ground is usually sometime in late November. And the snow usually stays until April - most of the Easters I remember as a kid involved getting to church with snowboots and changing into our fancy shoes inside.)

If I can, I try to walk places. I have a few little corner-store-type grocery stores within easy walking distance from my apartment, so when I need a few things, that's what I do. It's awesome that half of those stores are organic, "granola"-type stores! (I live in what people around here call the "granola belt" of my city...lol.)
If I have to get somewhere else in the city, though, it's by car. The public transportation system here isn't great, and it easily doubles the time it takes to get from point A to point B (quadruples or more on weekends!). I do however drive a 4-cylinder, manual transmission car, so that helps with reducing emissions and natural gas consumption. If I could have afforded a hybrid when I was looking for a car (my first!), and if they'd had any in stock, then I would have.

I also want to share a couple other photos with you.
The first is the view from a farmer's market I went to on the weekend. I'd love to live in a place like this!

The second I took on my walk home last week. There's something about seeing the bright white cross (of the hospital's chapel, I guess) against the darker sky.

Happy blogstalking!

3 comments:

Eryn said...

I hated digging my car out of snow! And when the car was warm, the snow would melt inside the doors and then freeze the doors shut.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, that snow looks familiar! I'm in ontario so I see it each year too :)

Love that picture of the farmers market...it would be awesome to live somewhere like that :)

Ed said...

It was nice to see someone else who uses shanks' pony instead of the car to get about in their local area. With the exception of mine, you blog stalker entry is the only one I've seen so far that talks about walking or cycling from a to b.